Subject Area: Algebra

Topic: Linear Regression and Families of Functions

HSCE: S2.2.1, A3.1.1, A3.1.2 and A3.1.3

Tags: activity, algebra, function, linear, regression

Views: 490

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that this is a great lesson! I bet students really enjoy taking part in the investigation.

I picture using this lesson, but with modifications. I first want to say that I love the details for the calculator portions - it takes the students step by step through the process. I also think that the questions that are asked are fantastic! They really make students think about this activity and the math that goes with it.

For my lesson, I would skip a couple things. First I would skip having the students finding the mean and median for the rate of change. I would also have students not find the correlation coefficient using their calculator. The reason being that the main objective of the lesson for me is to have students gather the data, graph it, and formulate an equation that goes with the data. I would want my lesson to be very basic, especially since I don't want this to be overwhelming for the students. 

This lesson is wonderful.  I pared it down a bit for use in my Algebra 1 classroom.  My students are familiar with the method for finding the regression line on a TI-84, so the directions were removed. The students focused on the function relationship and completed the regression but spent more time on the qualitative aspects.  I approached this by including a discussion area in which students are to write narratives about their results.  The guiding questions used are excellent.  I plan to include them in the follow up but chose to omit them during the activity.  I grade these with a COST rubric which works great for writing samples, especially when a math teacher is grading :).   The subtraction sentence is a very clever way to sneak in recursive form.  My students, however, are more familiar with the New = Old + ___ for dealing with recursive forms of equations.  I chose, therefore, to omit it.    When I come across real-life examples, I like to snag them.  Thanks again.

I love your responses to an obviously great lesson.  Please post your modified lessons to share.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Claudia

RSS

© 2018   Created by MVU Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service