Attached is a unit outline with suggested activities for a quadratics unit.  It begins with real world data modeling the volume of soda in a can with respect to temperature, maximizing the area of a dog yard, and projectile motion.  From there, we graphically find the maximum of a given parabola, and the zeros (how long it takes objects to hit the ground in projectile motion).  It then moves on to factoring - finding zeros  algebracially.  It finishes by solving quadratic equations by using square roots, completing the square, and the quadratic formula.  Solving by graphing is used throughout to verify answers.

A unit outline and note-taking guides for students can be downloaded from the attached zip file.  Downloadable activities for the ti-nspire are also suggested.

Jeff deVarona, Meg Bartlett, and Andrea Hauck

Tags: activities, and, area, divide, maximizing, motion, nprie, projectile, quadratics, slide

Views: 66

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In question # 4 it asks what will the dogs longest run be. I find that this question helps kids take more from the material but I don't know how I would apply that question to the quadratic aspect. The table and graph are a great display of quadratics but will the students already know the word parabola before this activity?
Our students are exposed to quadratics in the 8th grade and are familiar with the word parabola.  The longest run does not apply to quadratics.  It is getting students to look at another aspect of the problem.  When I did it with students it was an interesting aspect to investigate briefly and got them to examine what the problem is actually asking them to find.

RSS

© 2018   Created by MVU Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service