Title: Students=Linear Equation

Author: Andrea Minor

Subject Area: Algebra

Topic: Linear Equations

HSCEs: A3.1.3,A2.4.3,A2.3.3, A2.3.2, A2.3.1

Tags: Algebra, Line, Linear, Live, Real-time, Students, function, functions, graph, graphs, More…linear

Views: 238

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like to do this activity with my students, as I think it provides a great way for students to actively participate in the math process.  I do not think I would spend a lot of time on finding where a point crosses the x-axis (at least not the first time doing the activity), as I would like the students to spend more time seeing if they can pick out where or not their point fits with the equaiton I have given them, where it cross the y-axis, and demonstrating slope.  I would like to try this out early in our unit on linear equations to see if the students can make a connection between y=mx+b form and where m, b land on the graph.  I may try this activity again later on in the unit to see if they have fully understood our content.  I would possibly do this with multiple equations and maybe even in several small groups rather than one large group.  I think this is a great activity!
I'm excited that you think this activity will help you and your students. It worked for my class. Good Luck!

I love how your lesson involved kinesthetic learning! Students getting to become a “living graph” and MOVE during math are sure to increase engagement levels. I think using the "living graph" method is an excellent way to introduce coordinate plane and linear equation concepts. I plan to make some modifications to your lesson to meet the 6th grade GLCEs. For example, my students will begin by creating a table for a given equation and then graphing the coordinates. Also, since 6th graders are not as experienced with linear equations as 9th graders, I will spend more time doing this lesson and variations of it. This activity would be perfect for centers. Your Linear Capstone handout is well designed and a resource I am sure to use. Thanks :)

(I have attached the lesson with my modifications.)

Attachments:

Since my first post, I have brainstormed another concept (equivalent ratios) that can be taught using the “living graph.” Having the coordinate grid on the floor, allows students to actually walk out the rise and run between points on the floor which represent ratios. Below is an explanation of one way to reinforce equivalent ratios through the context of slope.

1. Plot a line

2. Have a student walk the rise and run between two points on the graph to get the slope (Example: 1/2)

3. Have another student walk the rise and run between two other points on the graph to get the slope (Example: 2/4)

4. Continue to have students walk the rise and run between points on the graph to get the slope until most or all of the combinations have been done

5. Look at the list of slopes found. Students should notice they are equivalent ratios. This is a concrete visual example of equivalent ratios because students can see that the slope of the line is unchanging since it is straight.

The goal of this activity would be consistent with my original goals because it involves calculating slope, which is part of graphing linear equations. It addresses the GLCE A.PA.06.09 (Solve problems involving linear functions whose input values are integers; write the equation; graph the resulting ordered pairs of integers.) This activity also diverges to another math goal of equivalent ratios, which addresses the GLCE N.ME.06.11 (Find equivalent ratios by scaling up or scaling down.) I think this is a great addition to my original goals since it provides a concrete example and continued practice of another math skill. It also using equivalent ratios in a more meaningful way than the traditional methods like, "What is equivalent to 1/2?"

I like that the students get to move and participate in 3-D of this acitivity.  It gets the students that watch a chance to see it visually for the visual learners.

This is a nice lesson plan all ready to run off and use.  It has a hook in the form of an activity and then a 12 problem handout with the different representations of the linear functions.  I would recommend adding this lesson to your favorites list.

RSS

© 2019   Created by MVU Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service