How important is homework in your classroom?

Here is a link to an interesting article:  Homework or Not?  That is the Question

Homework or Not?

The article shares research and discusses the pros and cons of homework.

I have taken a less is more approach for the past couple of years.  I believe that home practice is an important piece of student learning but I am also a realist and know that some students just do not do their homework. I use a weighted gradebook program and split the percent I used to assign to homeowork between classwork and homework.  Rather than 10% of the grade for homework I split it to 5% for classwork and 5% for homework.  Students like points so I have found that if I give them classwork points for work I have them do in class and give smaller homework assignments I have a little better success rate than if I just give homework points.  I use warm ups with review problems, homework quizzes as classwork that are self corrected and notes with try it practice problems. 

It is always interesting to me to hear what other teachers are doing in their classrooms that they find effective.  Please share what you are doing!

Tags: grades, heinrich, homework, research, teaching_practices

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I teach in residential treatment for teens males(grades 6-12) with severe behavioral issues. I have been in this environment for 11 years and this seems to be the first year that my students simply will not do homework. I am very interested to know how other teachers handle homework: grading it, how it is counted towards averages, etc.

As a math teacher who has taught grades 4-12, I feel that purposeful and well-designed homework shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes / class / night. Yes, over 6 six classes, that comes to 1.5-2 hrs/night, but in high school, students need to be reinforcing content through independent work. They can't afford to wait until college to develop this skill. In middle and elementary school, less total time is required, but the need for consistency in some subjects, particularly math, is very important. I wonder if the lengthy homework assignments some students are receiving, perhaps especially in math and English, are attributable to the curriculum acceleration of the transition to Common Core? And are also responsible for kids seeking e.g. algebra homework help or algebra tutors help?

It is obvious to anyone in a quantitative field that the benefits of homework carry forward. For example, even traditional middle school rate word problems, such as finding time traveled given distance and speed, contain about a dozen separate conceptual arithmetic, algebraic, and unit-cancelling steps. (Challenged yourself to identify the steps) If a student has not developed fluency with AND understanding of the rules of arithmetic with fractions, they resort to solving these problems by rote without an ability to justify their mathematical underpinnings. The tragedy is that these rote-solvers do become "calculators on legs", unable to bring any insight into more complex problems / applications that the promising STEM careers address.

I am using a spiralling book for homework this year. They will self check and it is either a zero or 100 and the grade will average together for the week.

RSS

© 2017   Created by MVU Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service